A couple weekends ago Justin and I found ourselves surrounded by about 20 Italians...all speaking Italian. We were invited to a surprise birthday party for a man who works at Justin's company. It was an interesting evening, even though we couldn't participate in the singing of "happy birthday", a few people were kind enough to speak English to us. There was a whole smorgasbord of food, lots of wine of course, and music from techno to old world Italian. (I am always amazed at how much European women can eat and still stay so thin!) We left right after the espressos and just before the mojitos....I think their evening was just getting started. Espresso at 11:00 p.m.....no thanks, I'd be up all night and the next day. Don't think I can keep up with the Italians, and I would definitely need a new wardrobe to do so!
Last week Justin was working from home and had a couple conference calls on speaker phone. It's amazing how the Italian accent can even make business development sound romantic. When Justin joined his new company, his manager told him, "You can't be a gringo forever!" I think we may both have to learn a little Italian or at least brush up on our French so we don't seem so typically American.
This past weekend was halloween, and we found ourselves in the same situation times 10 plus costumes. It was literally a club room turned discotheque. We had a fun time and saw some interesting costumes. Even though we may not have romantic accents, I think Americans win the prize for creative costumes and knowing how to do halloween right.
Our queen bee and beekeeper costumes were a hit. Surprisingly we had several people ask to take their picture with us. Justin thinks it was just because he was the only "white" guy in the place.
pre party pic with the brizzbee
This past weekend was halloween, and we found ourselves in the same situation times 10 plus costumes. It was literally a club room turned discotheque. We had a fun time and saw some interesting costumes. Even though we may not have romantic accents, I think Americans win the prize for creative costumes and knowing how to do halloween right.
pre party pic with the brizzbee
It's exciting living in a city where there is such a large population of people who don't speak English as their first language. Walking through the streets of Chicago I can hear all sorts of accents. There are people living and visiting here from all over the world, and it's fun to meet people with completely different perspectives and life experiences than mine.
People are usually interested in where I'm from too. Once I open my mouth, I typically get a comment like, "you're not from around here are you?" I never thought my Southern accent was that strong, but I do catch myself sounding very Southern sometimes. I've had a few people tell me they love a Southern accent and it makes everything sound sweet. (Guess I'm giving those Italians a run for their money!) I was surprised to hear that, since I think it sounds a bit redneck, especially compared to the non-accent of the Midwest. I'm definitely more aware of how I speak here. Some people have told me they can't tell I even have an accent, although one man asked if I was British....I was definitely shocked to hear that one!
So, I'm not exactly sure how people perceive me here, but it is nice to not feel like I have to fit in a mold. There are so many types of people living in Chicago that I could be a different person everyday and still find my niche. It's relieving not to be living in a fishbowl and have people actually interested in who I am and where I'm from. I think I've always been a big city girl at heart....just took me a while to get here.
People are usually interested in where I'm from too. Once I open my mouth, I typically get a comment like, "you're not from around here are you?" I never thought my Southern accent was that strong, but I do catch myself sounding very Southern sometimes. I've had a few people tell me they love a Southern accent and it makes everything sound sweet. (Guess I'm giving those Italians a run for their money!) I was surprised to hear that, since I think it sounds a bit redneck, especially compared to the non-accent of the Midwest. I'm definitely more aware of how I speak here. Some people have told me they can't tell I even have an accent, although one man asked if I was British....I was definitely shocked to hear that one!
So, I'm not exactly sure how people perceive me here, but it is nice to not feel like I have to fit in a mold. There are so many types of people living in Chicago that I could be a different person everyday and still find my niche. It's relieving not to be living in a fishbowl and have people actually interested in who I am and where I'm from. I think I've always been a big city girl at heart....just took me a while to get here.
No comments:
Post a Comment