I've had to rethink my wardrobe since moving from the hot, humid South to the dry, windy Midwest. The dreaded arctic blast is yet to hit, but I'm preparing in advance, keeping an eye out for winter boots and a puffy coat. We've had a taste of the bitter cold to come. I've decided that Fall here is like Winter in NC. Not only is the weather different, but I'm also adjusting to a very different day-to-day existence. I'm still a bit too reliant on my Jeep, unlike most Chicagoans who use only public transit or their own two feet. However, I am walking much more to get from one place to another, than I ever did in NC. These climate and lifestyle changes definitely call for a wardrobe overhaul, which much to my husband's dismay, I am more than willing to tackle!
I'm not usually a trend setter or fashionista, but I do like to look cute and somewhat in style. However, comfort is always a concern, no matter the cuteness factor. I have been noticing the fashions of Chicago because: #1 - I'm a people watcher and I can't help it, #2 - I would only like my accent, not my wardrobe to give me away, #3 - What the heck do I wear walking around in this wind tunnel of a city?!
Through my not-so-scientific study of the street wear of Chicagoans, I've determined that many of the trends seen on the streets are not trends, but in fact are results of people adapting to living in a big city and one that's so far North it's almost Canada. This isn't the first time I've encountered such fashions, but I'm definitely seeing more of them and in a different light, so to speak. I've complied a selection of wardrobe items and looks that are not only "in style", but also a basic necessity and/or outcome of living in Chicago. It's my theory that city dwellers are the inspiration and inventors of these popular looks. Here are random pics of random people I found online who are exhibits for my theories:
#1: the layered look
This says: It takes twice as long to walk where I'm going than to drive and I have to catch my train/bus so I'm going to grab whatever I can get my hands on and wear as many layers as I can to keep warm, because once I get where I'm going I'll have to shed 2 or 3 layers anyway so it doesn't matter if they match, plus if I don't look like I'm trying then people won't think I am.
#2: ballet flats
These sole savers are great because they're cute and easy to walk in. I've discovered the key is to make sure they don't rub your heels, don't have a pointy toe, and a little cushioning/support is always good. My motto: just because they're flat doesn't mean they're comfortable. But, it is possible to have cozy feet without wearing sneakers....and they won't come untied!
#3: flat boots
This is my fav must-have-city-wardrobe-item....worn in flat boots. Women wear these with everything. They're easy to slip on when you're in a hurry (see #1), you can wear them with skinny jeans (see #5), they keep your ankles and shins warm, it doesn't matter if they get scuffed up/messed up, and most importantly they're comfy. Flat boots of any kind are great and definitely a staple around Chicago. From ankle boots to above the knee...they're everywhere.
#4: shorts n' boots
People wear boots here in all kinds of weather. Even if it's warm-ish out I see boots and shorts or skirts everywhere (same with scarves). I didn't really understand this look in NC, but in Chicago it makes more sense....not warm enough to wear flip flops, but I want to wear my shorts because the sun is out and my boots are so comfy!
#5: skinny jeans
The skinny on this wardrobe must is they are perfect for trudging around in the city. My theory is they were designed to wear with flats, and fit tight so that your jeans don't drag on the ground and get torn up....unless you're going for that look. Skinny jeans are also perfect with boots, which again are irreplaceable in Chicago.
#6: the boyfriend jeans
I think this pic is a perfect example of when to wear these baggy, torn up jeans...when you're going to the park with your cutie pie baby (or Brizz dog) and you know you're going to get jumped on, slobbered on and quite possibly knocked down. They've got plenty of wiggle room for squatting, bending, and sitting cross-legged. The mommies have spoken and the boyfriend is what they got.....hmmmmm....
#7: the cross body bag
As Reese skillfully demonstrates, the cross body bag enables you to multi-task on the go. Wether it is ordering a latte, swiping your CTA pass, or toting groceries, the wearer of the cross body bag will always have a free hand since she's not holding on to her purse. This bag has also proven to be useful when taking walks along the lakefront and needing a fashionable tote for doggie bags, cell phone, and such.
#8: puffy coats, puffy everything
Before I moved to Chicago, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to spend their hard earned money on a piece of clothing that would make them look like a marshmallows.....now I understand, and I admit to trying on a few puffy coats in search of my least puffy, but still warm puffy coat. I've heard ankle length is a must, especially if you take public transit. I've spotted women in their ankle length puffy coats taking the dog out in the morning, when the puffiness definitely wasn't warranted. My theory is that the puffy coat is always accepted, even if it's only a bit cool, and plus.....first thing in the morning it's the perfect throw-on over PJ's.
#9: the messy hair look
This look that celebs and the fashion world have perfected, I believe stemmed from cities, such as the windy one I live in, where people got tired of trying to keep their hair looking just so. So now the "I don't care what my hair looks like" look has become popular....even in cities that aren't quite so windy.
#10: infinity scarf
Again, a response to dealing with the wind.....this scarf is much less likely to whip you in the face or go flying over your shoulder. Like the name suggests....there is no end, so you just loop it around your neck for unlimited warmth and coziness.
#11: creative legwear
Leg warmers, fish nets, sweater tights, knee high socks over tights...you name it! Maybe it's a case of...I want to wear a skirt, but it's too cold, so I'll cover my legs with as many different types of legwear as possible. Or maybe it's...I don't want to look like a marshmallow in my ankle length puffy coat, so I'll layer up to stay warm (could also apply to #1). Whatever the case, I think creative legwear is a fun way to change up the stand-by winter tights, but not sure if I'm buying into the legwarmers...hello Get in Shape Girl!
#12: doggie attire
Last, but certainly not least, the pooches need to be protected from the elements as well. I never thought I'd be that person who puts a sweater and booties on the dog, but I have a feeling it's coming. A fellow dog park goer (and native North Carolinian) informed me that the booties are a necessity to combat the snow salt from tearing up doggy paws. Not sure if Brizz will need or want a sweater, but I may just have to try the booties.
So, maybe I'm more practical than fashionable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I apologize to my blog readers (of the male variety) who I have neglected with this post and those who have no interest in this sort of thing. Maybe I have a little too much time on my hands or maybe my inner fashionista is coming forth with so many different styles all around me. My first word was in fact "shoes", so perhaps I've missed my calling. Anywho, this was fun for me, and I hope you have enjoyed my rambling and far fetched theories and commentary on Chicago style.
















No comments:
Post a Comment