1.18.2011

Winter Itch

At dinner the other night, our waiter asked us if we'd like bottled water or Chicago tap. It was funny to me that he made the distinction of Chicago to describe the water, when we are in Chicago...as if to say, "are you sure you want the chlorine flavored, horrible water from Lake Michigan??....come on spend the extra few bucks on purified water." I love Lake Michigan, but hate the water from it...yuck! My taste buds hate it, my hair hates it, my skin hates it. It's the hardest water I've ever had to drink and bathe in. Even the Brizz dog has dry skin. Coming from Charlotte, where I would gladly drink the city water straight from the tap, this has been an adjustment. It was so nice to have a tall glass of Charlotte tap over Christmas!

After moving here in September, before the beginning of the harsh Chicago winter and drying heating systems, I began to develop winter skin after only a week. I think most people must have water softeners. We have not taken that step...yet, but I see a shower head water softener in our future! I have totally rethought our lotions, soap, body wash, face wash, and hair products. Been using some kind of egg-based hair treatment from Lush, which helps, but only for a couple days. Left Target with an entirely new toiletries stock the other day. Eucerin is a lifesaver!

We have purchased a humidifier to combat the excessively dry heat. That should be arriving soon, which I hope will clear up my horribly itchy throat. Every morning I wake up feeling like I'm sick, and I wake up in the middle of the night parched. 

Justin and I went to the Shedd Aquarium yesterday since he had the day off work and they were offering free general admission. Walking around in our puffers, we started to complain about how we were hot and stuffy amidst all the people. My face was actually starting to feel a bit dewy from the humidity of the aquariums. I caught myself mid-thought and decided just to enjoy the extra moisture in the air. We had also stood outside for half an hour in the wintry mix waiting to get in, so there was no room for complaint about heat either!

I never thought I'd long for the 97% humidity of the South, where you step outside and instantly start to sweat, but that sounds like a dream some days. I'm sure there's got to be a happy medium between looking like you just stepped out of a sauna and your skin cracking off. I make living in Chicago sound utterly unbearable, but it's just a matter of adjustment. I was more worried about surviving the weather, and so far, I've got that under control. There's no such thing as cold weather just not the right clothes....so there's no such thing as hard water, just not the right products?? Any suggestions from fellow hard water, cold-climate dwellers would be much appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I love the aveno oatmeal bath if you have a bathtub that would help also and then the eucerin...it's kind of sticky but it does do the trick. As far as the hair goes...i'm at a loss! Have you found a haircut place yet? They may have some better suggestions! I bet you are already read for spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! My first comment!!! You just made my day! :) Thanks for the advice too cuz...I'll definitely try the aveno bath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Lush soap I got up there at Christmas! It doesn't dry out my skin like other soaps. I see another Lush shipment in my future! Or another trip to Chi-town!

    ReplyDelete