1.27.2011

Poor Bears

One of the biggest games in Bears history definitely didn't live up to the hype for Chicagoans, but it sure was interesting. I was really feeling like I should fork out the cash for the "cheap" seats from Craig's List, just to have the experience of going to the game. Wisely, we decided against that and watched from the comfort of our sofa. 

Before the game, we bundled up, including Brizzie in her boots, and ventured out into the cold for a walk along the lakefront. Four to five inches of new snow had fallen, so it was quite a trek, coupled with the wind off the lake. We walked down the lakefront, through Grant Park and over to Michigan Ave. Bears fans were everywhere making their way to Soldier Field, sporting jerseys over their huge coats and carrying extra blankets. 

frozen, snow covered marina

justin & the brizz

think I could walk on that?....

bears fans walking up the lakefront

That was quite a walk for the Brizz, but she loves playing in the snow, so she was a happy puppy! Her furry chin was caked in snow and people were taking pictures of her in her boots...such a cutie! Dogs in boots are a frequent site at the dog park, but I guess not so much on Michigan Ave!

I had heard about the Lions outside the Art Institute wearing Bears gear, so I had to check it out. Think I may have to get Brizz her own Bears gear for next season!

he must be wearing Peppers' helmet


now, that scarf might keep me warm!

We got back just in time for the opening events and heard the jets fly over as we watched them on TV. It was just like being there, but a tad warmer! I have to say, I loved the Chicago version of the national anthem, where all the fans sing along at the top of their lungs. I tried to imagine that same scene at a Panthers game, and just couldn't do it. I think the "wine and cheese" crowd in Charlotte needs to take a few lessons from Bears fans.

However, I did feel like I was watching the cardiac cats as the game went on. I can't believe the 3rd string quarterback ended up playing in the NFC championship game...and almost pulling the Bears through! Of course all week, everyone in Chicago has been talking about Jay Cutler and the seriousness of his injury....or non-injury. Then of course, there's his general attitude and disinterest from the sideline. I have no idea what his deal is, but from what I can tell on the local news, the city seems pretty split. I'm thinking though, that most people were just disappointed in the game in general. Have to hand it to ex-Panther and Tarheel, Julius Peppers, for putting a huge hit on Aaron Rodgers...he looked pretty shaken up.  I hate to see anyone get hurt though, and Peppers can do some damage for sure! I think, if it wasn't for that, the game could have been much worse. Riding the elevator in our building last Sunday night, a guy got out and didn't say the customary, "good night" or "see ya", but instead, "Poor Bears," shaking his head. That was a really tough way to end the season, but I think there are high hopes for the Bears next year.

I'll be pulling for the Packers in the Super Bowl....you'll never hear me rooting for Pittsburgh.  Guess I'm a Bears fan now....unless they're playing the Panthers. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment