Justin and I have now moved 5 times in the 4 years we have been married. When we decided to move to Chicago I was so nervous that we had made the wrong choice, but I had this gut feeling that moving was what we were supposed to do. Part of me was trying forget my aspirations of living in a big new city, and just settle in Charlotte....and I really didn't want to deal with moving again. Then, I started finding Chicago all over Charlotte. It was little things, like turning on the radio and hearing Jimmy Buffett live from Chicago, spotting a Chicago Bears license plate, and that little Starbucks bear wearing a Chicago t-shirt staring at me in the Marshall's checkout line. Our first trip to the grocery store in Chicago, there was that durn bear again, wearing the same shirt. These things seem random and insignificant, but to me they were little signs that helped to ease my worries.
Thursday is our 4th wedding anniversary. Ironically, we were planning to be visiting Chicago this weekend months before we learned we would actually be moving here. Justin was planning to run in the Chicago marathon, and we were going to celebrate our anniversary. With starting a new job and moving, Justin hasn't been able to train for the marathon, but we were destined to be in this city one way or another!
It's been one month since we moved here and Charlotte seems like another lifetime. So far, living in Chicago reminds me a lot of when Justin and I lived in Australia for 4 months. Getting used to a new city, new people, new places, new routine.....reinventing ourselves. Since it's all so new, it still seems like we are just visiting, and I wonder how long it will be until our new life really feels like home. It's exciting and scary at the same time, but I'm so thankful that we took the leap to try something different and not stick with what was comfortable and familiar. There is still a lot to figure out, but it's only been a month, and I can't wait to discover what this great city has in store for us!
buckingham fountain in grant park
one of my favorite places

No comments:
Post a Comment