We had our first warm weather visitors a few weeks ago. My in-laws and my dad visited back to back weeks the end of May. After 2 weeks packed with playing tour guide and eating, eating, eating, I feel like I'm just now recovering! We loved having our parents here though. It's so nice to have our family and friends visit and share our new home and city with us! We definitely don't get to see our family as often as we used to, so we cherish the time we get to share.
The first night Justin's parents were in town, we got together for dinner at Bandera (one of our "neighborhood favs) with some of the Lichty's long-time friends who have a home in Chicago.
The first night Justin's parents were in town, we got together for dinner at Bandera (one of our "neighborhood favs) with some of the Lichty's long-time friends who have a home in Chicago.
Some of the other yummy restaurants we dined at were:
Francesca's on Chestnut
Twin Anchors
XOCO
Lou Malnatti's (of course)
Mon Ami Gabi
Hubbard Inn (fav spot for drinks)
the lichty's enjoying some chicago pizza...can't beat it!
They froze the left-overs and took it back to SC for Justin's brother, who was having deep dish withdrawals!
Speaking of frozen....the air from the glacial lake water acts like a huge fog machine when the weather starts to warm up. It's like opening the freezer...the city fills with cool fog, even on warm days. It's a strange, but beautiful site to see the fog drifting between the buildings. As we walked around the city with Justin's parents, the temperature would suddenly drop dramatically as we were surrounded by the cool, foggy mist.
The weather reverted back to March just in time for my dad to arrive. We bundled up and headed to Wrigley to start his visit.
cubs game - brrrrrr.....it was sooo cold!
state st. for the memorial day parade
enjoying the view and infamous chi-town breeze
on our building's rooftop patio
That Sunday Lake Shore Drive was shut down as cyclists took over for a ride promoting alternative modes of transportation. This was an awesome event for riders of all abilities. Next year Justin and I definitely plan to participate!
foggy lakefront
enough with this nasty weather!
these boats are ready for some memorial day sailing!
flooded street in lincoln park
showing just how much rain fell over the weekend!
My dad's visit started out pretty cold and rainy....not much fun for a holiday weekend. But Memorial Day Monday was absolutely gorgeous! We took advantage of the nice weather and went for a morning bike ride along the lake front before Dad's flight.
beautiful city on a beautiful day!
After a week of 50's and rain, the sun finally appeared and so did all the people! The city beaches were more packed than Myrtle Beach on the 4th of July....no kidding! People were laying out all over parks around the city, biking, running, rollerblading, you name it! I have never seen Chicago so active. I've said before...Chicagoans do not take warm weather for granted. Once temps reach upper 50's with sun, the shorts come out! This is what everyone kept telling me about....wait for it, wait for it....summer is awesome! Chicago is awesome in the summer! Makes me wonder if summer feels so incredible because the winter is so harsh....probably true. But, the city itself has so much life that is different than anything I've ever experienced. Add that to 3 million sun starved people and you've got a huge party!
10:00 a.m. volley ball courts ramping up
for memorial day celebrations
After Dad left we had week of upper 90's!! I was loving it and stayed outside as much as I could! I took Brizz to the dog beach one morning and she wore herself out! That is the fuzzy, sandy look of one happy puppy dog!
catching some rays on the rooftop
the park is alive again!
now, this is the harbor I love!
Unfortunately, it quickly got chilly again. I'm still waiting for a true summer to come and stay for at least a month. Guess I can't complain too much after this past winter, but I'm still a Southern girl who loves her heat and humidity!
No comments:
Post a Comment