3.26.2011

St. Paddy's B-day the Chi-rish Way

I've been a real slacker lately when it comes to my blog. Three psychology classes, grad school applications, and interviews have caused my blogging to suffer, and I greatly apologize to my 2 faithful followers who have been waiting impatiently for my next post! :) Since my last post, my birthday has come and gone, which was quite uneventful. But, that was ok, because my husband and I were saving up all our celebrating for his St. Patrick's Day birthday, which is two weeks after mine. March 17th in Chicago is much more exciting than March 3rd. I was actually much more excited about Justin's b-day than my own because of all the St. Paddy's Day activities Chicago puts on. Plus, we'll get to celebrate my b-day again this summer when we use my present...U2 at Soldier Field on July 5th!! 

Thought I'd share some of our green clad adventures from March. If you haven't spent a St. Paddy's in Chicago, it's worth a visit at least once! The main festivities started the weekend before St. Paddy's with the dyeing of the Chicago River and the St. Paddy's Day parade. The river is turned a bright green with plumbers vegetable dye that is poured into the river in an orange powder form. When the powder hits the water, it turns green. One boat of plumbers dumps the orange powder in the river and another boat zips around mixing up the dye. People line the river decked out in green and bagpipes play...it's quite the event! A wonderfully unique Chicago tradition!










Justin made it to the parade that afternoon, but I had class. :( Saturday class?? What was I thinking??) I was able to meet Justin after class and see then end of the parade. It definitely wasn't the biggest most extravagant parade I've seen, but the people watching was entertaining! 











One of our friends, Jason, came from Colorado for Justin's birthday, so of course we had to show him Chi-rish way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! He missed the parade and river dyeing, but there was still plenty to do. We took him to some bars, Irish of course, showed him awesome views of the city from the top of the Hancock building, took a tour of Wrigley Field, walked around Millennium Park and ate, and ate, ate! 

































 We had a little teaser of Spring while Jason was here, but it's back in the 30's....ugh! I'm so over the cold weather and actually jealous of everyone complaining of pollen in the Carolinas. (Never thought I'd say that!) It was definitely a good time and we can't wait to have more visitors! 

Happy Birthday to my leprechaun hubby!!



No comments:

Post a Comment